[KIRKLAND, Wash] – (MTN) Truckbane, the infamous “truck eating bridge” of Kirkland had a close encounter of the worst kind with an over-height Mayflower Movers box truck. The eastbound 12’6″ truck became firmly wedged under the 11’6″ overpass, leaving bits of aluminum on the pavement and a battered roof from above. No one was injured and no other vehicles were involved in the incident.
Around 6:30 PM, the truck embedded itself into the maw of the old railroad trestle, becoming the third vehicle to strike the bridge in less than two weeks. The truck was carrying cargo, but it appeared undamaged. The driver was rattled and didn’t want to make a statement.
A heavy-duty wrecker arrived about one hour after Truckbane fed, and pulled the prey from out of its gaping maw. The screech of metal echoed through the neighborhood as the box broke free.
On Saturday a group of citizens did a banner drop on the westbound side. It appears it may have saved a truck from being consumed by Truckbane on Monday morning. Some onlookers on the Cross Kirkland Corridor mused that the latest meal may not have happened if there was a second banner on the other side.
In December of 2020, the city added a dozen signs to warn drivers of the truck-eating bridge. The bridge’s location, architecture, and the traffic on Kirkland Way create a unique set of traffic engineering challenges.
Like, Share, Follow, Support
- Eviction moratorium allowed to end putting 8-million households at risk
- The West is burning – untold stories of two California towns devastated by the Dixie Fire
- Sun, Smoke, and Showers loom as dry streak extends to day 45
- York Statue at Mount Tabor Park in Portland destroyed by vandals
- Nine counties recommend masks again as COVID surges
- The West is burning – untold stories of two California towns devastated by the Dixie Fire on
- BREAKING: OPA recommends two SPD officers be fired for their actions during the 1/6 insurrection on
- Racist incident at Edmonds Bar spills over into social media storm on
- 24 days later, King County is asking you to mask up – again on
- COVID cases on the rise as Delta variant becomes the dominant strain on