Fruit plays more than a supporting role in this easy creation
We’ve entered that time of year when fresh local produce is plentiful. If you’re dealing with Weighty Matters, it is an excellent time to explore new options for a quick dinner. If you think salad requires lettuce, think again!
I’ve always loved putting fruit in a salad during the summer months. Berries and salad go hand-in-hand, along with apple and pear in the fall and winter. Tonight fruit played more than a supporting role and was almost on parity with the vegetables.
I hate the term superfood as I think the idea that food has superpowers is BS, but to make the Google SEO gods happy, this salad contains the power of healing superfoods! I prepared this summer salad using items that we already had in the fridge – so there was a degree of, “use this up or else,” in deciding the ingredients. Although we have a mountain of fresh lettuce growing in our garden right now, to make this work, I had to go sans greens. A combination of fruits, vegetables, and proteins provides a man-sized amount of food that can satisfy even a large appetite. At an estimated 421 calories per serving, with dressing, this satisfies, provides many nutrients, and is a caloric bargain.
Oh, and if you want to go vegetarian, swap out the chicken for some firm tofu.
Malcontented Summer Salad
3 pearl tomatoes or other sweet/small tomatoes, quartered
2 Persian cucumbers, sliced
3 Sweet mini bell peppers, sliced
2 apricots, pitted and diced
6 strawberries, hulled and sliced
½ cup blueberries
1 ounce Greek feta cheese (I used Athenos fat-free), crumbled or diced
4 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast, grilled or sous vide cooked, diced
4 tablespoons non-fat Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons fig infused balsamic vinegar
Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients and gently toss together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the non-fat Greek yogurt and fig infused balsamic vinegar and salt to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the mixed salad and toss lightly to coat ingredients.
Serve with bread or crackers (I used Finn Crisp Rye Crackers – 4 – for another 80 calories).
Salad: 361 calories
Dressing: 60 calories
- Azerbaijan Starts Military Operation in the Disputed Karabakh Against Ethnic Armenians
- Russian President Igor Strelkov Girkin?
- The Most Successful Russian Military Leaders are Demoted, Detained, Dismissed, or Deceased
- 1996’s Privatization of Government Background Screening has Been a 29 Year Dumpster Fire
- FBI Interviews Sarah Bils, the Donbass Devushka, as the DOJ and NCIS Probes Her Past