[SAMMAMISH, Wash.] – (MTN) The first fallout of the Anonymous hack of Sammamish based Epik Software is coming to light, and it includes a misinformation campaign by Republican Larry Elder in the California governor recall.
As the chances of current Governor Gavin Newsom being recalled all but evaporated in the last few weeks, Larry Elder and his surrogates started a campaign to try and delegitimize the election before it even started.
In a report on NBC News, Elder appealed to his supporters yesterday to use an online form on the website stopcafraud.com to report fraud. He went on to claim the site had “detected fraud” in the “results” of the California recall election “resulting in Governor Gavin Newsom being reinstated as governor.”
“This is really becoming the standard GOP playbook,” said Lee Drutman, a senior fellow at the New America think tank who studies democracy. “This is democracy 101. If you don’t have elections that are accepted and decisive, then you don’t really have a democracy, because the alternative is violence or authoritarianism.”
There is one major problem with the claim of fraud – the election hasn’t even started. So where does Epik come into this?
Epik Software is the domain registrar for stopcafraud.com, created on August 27. Allegedly, information gleaned from the hack shows the website is already prepopulated with fake data before the site went live to the public according to a claim made by Heidi Cuda, an investigative reporter.
It is important to note that Epik Software is not directly involved in the physical creation of the website or the manufacturing of fake data. The company provides DNS and hosting services, and is popular among alt-right, white nationalist, militant, QAnon, and misinformation groups.
Like, Share, Follow, Support
- Local and national COVID update for September 21, 2021
- Exclusive: Tight monoclonal antibody supply hobbles state rollout – Local and national COVID update
- Pacific Northwest is in crisis – Local and national COVID update for September 18, 2021
- Opinion: To save Washington hospitals it’s time to close the borders
- Special Delivery! Fall weather arrives with a wet and windy weekend ahead
- 7,000 COVID deaths – local and national COVID update for September 14, 2021 on
- Local and national COVID update for September 15, 2021 on
- DoH issues a stark warning – local and national COVID update for September 8, 2021 on
- Opinion: To save Washington hospitals it’s time to close the borders on
- Anonymous hack of Epik reveals a devastating amount of information on
Health and Lifestyle2 hours ago
Local and national COVID update for September 21, 2021
Health and Lifestyle1 day ago
Exclusive: Tight monoclonal antibody supply hobbles state rollout – Local and national COVID update
Health and Lifestyle3 days ago
Pacific Northwest is in crisis – Local and national COVID update for September 18, 2021