[SEATTLE, Wash] – (MTN) Skagit County joined eight Western Washington counties today in recommending indoor use of masks for all people, even if they are vaccinated. Eight counties, including Grays Harbor, Callam, Pierce, King, San Juan, Jefferson, Kitsap, and Snohomish released a joint statement on Monday with the recommendation.
The CDC is widely expected to recommend wearing masks in regions with high infection rates today as COVID cases fueled by the Delta and Gamma variants, surges in all 50 states. In a report from Dr. Katelyn Jetelina, MD, and epidemiologist, COVID cases have grown 170% in the last 14 days across the United States as tracked by Johns Hopkins University.
The COVID-19 Scenario Modeling Hub, a consortium of researchers and medical professionals projects that the so-called Fourth Wave will peak in October, with daily deaths growing to 850 in the United States as the best case, and as high as 4,000 a day in the worst case. The IHME out of the Univesity of Washington projects a peak in September and the United States entering a new normal for fatalities.
On July 14, Washington state achieved its goal of 70% of eligible residents over 16 years old vaccinated. King County is over 80% vaccinated, but there remains significant gaps in South King County in communities such as Federal Way. The number of new cases per 100K has grown to 107 in Washington state, well above the target of 25.
Acute care and ICU beds remain in short supply throughout Washington due to a number of contributing factors, including COVID. KING 5 reported that emergency rooms across Western Washington are overwhelmed including Harborview Medical Center, the state’s only Level 1 trauma center, where patients are waiting as long as 90 minutes to be unloaded from ambulances.
Like, Share, Follow, Support
- Local and national COVID update for September 21, 2021
- Exclusive: Tight monoclonal antibody supply hobbles state rollout – Local and national COVID update
- Pacific Northwest is in crisis – Local and national COVID update for September 18, 2021
- Opinion: To save Washington hospitals it’s time to close the borders
- Special Delivery! Fall weather arrives with a wet and windy weekend ahead
- 7,000 COVID deaths – local and national COVID update for September 14, 2021 on
- Local and national COVID update for September 15, 2021 on
- DoH issues a stark warning – local and national COVID update for September 8, 2021 on
- Opinion: To save Washington hospitals it’s time to close the borders on
- Anonymous hack of Epik reveals a devastating amount of information on
Health and Lifestyle2 hours ago
Local and national COVID update for September 21, 2021
Health and Lifestyle1 day ago
Exclusive: Tight monoclonal antibody supply hobbles state rollout – Local and national COVID update
Health and Lifestyle3 days ago
Pacific Northwest is in crisis – Local and national COVID update for September 18, 2021